BUSD Director Vacancy Applications
In March, 2013, Leah Wilson resigned her seat on the Berkeley Unified School District (BUSD) Board of Directors. On March 27, 2013, the remaining Board members guided by BUSD staff developed a process to fill the vacancy. Details of the process are available on the District website. In accordance with this process, the applications for the Directors appointment were submitted by April 15 and made available to the public on April 19, though BUSD was not making them available online.
The application included nine questions develope and approved by the remaining Board members:
- Why do you want to be a School Board Director?
- What strengths woudl you bring to the School Board?
- What are your three top priorities for Berkeley public schools?
- How would you work with your fellow Board members and Superintendent to address these priorities?
- How does your experience and knowledge lend itself to promoting the District goals of addressing the opportunity gap and the 2020 vision?
- What are the greatest assets and strengths of BUSD?
- What do you see as your primary role and responsibilities as a School Board Director?
- How does an effective School Board ensure opportunities for families and community members to express a diverse range of views to inform Board deliberations on important policy issues?
- What has been your involvement with public schools and / or in the community?
The table below lists the 10 applicants with some basic information, where available. The webpage for each applicant includes their response to question 9 with a PDF link of the full application of each submitted; one application, that for Michael Bolgatz, was not provided.
|Title||Berkeley History||Current Employment||Application|
|Dan Lindheim||Since 1950; continuously since 1989||City of Oakland (City Administrator/Manager)||Director Application for Dan Lindheim|
|Julie Sinai||Approx. 24 years||UC Berkeley (Director of Local Government and Community Relations)||Director Application for Julie Sinai|
|Margit Roos-Collins||21 years||Director Application for Margit Roos-Collins|
|Mark J Zoidis||6 Years||Self (Independent Financial Advisor)||Director Application for Mark J. Zoidis|
|Meleah N. Hall||1 year 7 months||Director Application for Meleah N. Hall|
|Michael G. Bolgatz||n/a||Law Offices of Michael Bolgatz (Attorney)|
|Peter Morgan Bloomsburgh||Since Spring 1985||BUSD (Teacher, BHS)||Peter M. Bloomsburgh|
|Satish Rao||14 years||UC Berkeley (Professor)||Director Application for Satish Rao|
|Spencer R. Klein||19 years||Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (Senior Scientist)||Director Application for Spencer R. Klein|
|Ty Alper||21 years (1979-1991; 2004 - present||UC Berkeley (Clinical Professor of Law)||Director Application for Ty Alper|